Emergency medical responder
Sign up below to learn about future courses!
WHAT IS AN EMR?
Emergency Medical Responders (EMRs) provide immediate lifesaving care to critical patients who access the emergency medical services system. EMRs have the knowledge and skills necessary to provide immediate lifesaving interventions while awaiting additional EMS resources to arrive. EMRs also provide assistance to higher-level personnel at the scene of emergencies and during transport.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be eligible to take the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) certification exam required for Vermont Department of Health (VDH) Emergency Medical Service (EMS) Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) licensure. This course meets all the educational requirements as required by the VDH EMS Office. This course will:
- Prepare EMRs for practice in a variety of settings (employment and volunteer).
- Provide students with a strong basic curriculum to meet entry-level certification requirements.
- Provide students with the foundation for advancement within the pre-hospital care profession.
GENERAL COURSE INFORMATION
Class Schedule: TBD - typically meets 1-2 times a week for 6-12 weeks. Attendance for all class sessions is mandatory.
Class Location: 120 McKinley Street, Bennington, VT 05201 – Phone: 802-442-5817
Office Hours: Each classroom/lab session will have dedicated question and answer time to review or clarify course materials. Additional scheduled remote or in-person office hours will be scheduled by the primary instructor/coordinator based on program progression.
Bennington Rescue plans several aspects of its courses around the number of people registered. Payment is required to reserve a seat in the course. Payment in full must be made by the before the first class session. Failure to pay tuition will result in dismissal from the program. We have established the following policy regarding cancellations:
- Cancellations made 15 or more days prior to the start of class will be issued a refund minus a $50.00 administrative fee.
- Cancellations made within 15 days but at least 7 calendar days prior to the start of the class will be issued a refund minus a $175.00 administrative fee.
- No refunds will occur within 7 calendar days before the start of the course or if the student has accessed the online learning system.
The fees for the course will cover:
- Course Tuition including Clinical Experience
- EMR Class polo shirt (with student markings)
- Blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, and pen light
The fee for this course does NOT cover:
- NREMT Psychomotor Exam Fees
- Any supplemental materials or equipment
- Recommended 16 years of age by the time of course completion. An EMR must be 18 to respond to emergencies on their own but can be part of an ambulance crew until age 18.
- Physical or letter from Primary Care Physician (PCP) that states that student is physically fit for the expectations of the course
- No criminal convictions or history that would preclude the applicant from licensure or certification
- Health requirements, on Bennington Rescue medical forms provided after course registration:
- Proof of Hepatitis B Vaccine or Letter of Declination.
- Proof of current immunizations as required for clinical experience.
- Attestation from your primary healthcare provider (physician, nurse practitioner, etc.) stating that student is physically fit for the expectations of the course.
- Failure to comply with health requirements excludes an individual from this course.
ATTENDANCE & COURSE COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
Attendance for all class sessions is required.
It is up to you to quickly evaluate whether the rigors of this course and expectations will allow for your success. If you fail to attend or complete any portion of the course, it will be assumed that you are dropping the class.
There are three components to the course:
- The online, interactive didactic lecture portion and assigned homework
- The classroom lecture portion and skills labs, and
- The clinical experience comprised ofride along field experiences.
All three components must be completed to get an EMR course completion certificate.
HOW TO APPLY
Application details will be posted with our next course, sign up below for updates.
Custom / on-site courses are available for agencies interested in hosting a course at their station.
If you have any questions please email: email@example.com